Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Recipe: Meyer limoncello

Hey! Lemon head!
Considering my previous successes at mixing fruits and vodka, when I stumbled upon a recipe for limoncello, I knew I could do it, maybe even make it better.  I have to admit I hadn't considered making it before as I thought the legendary limoncello would be some old, guarded Italian secret with an ultra technical distillation process (I'm sure there are at least some family recipes handed down through the generations), but for the most part, it's an infusion where the quality rests on the maker's proportions.  Since this was my first go, and I'm not even Italian, it would be selfish to keep my recipe a secret.  I did modify the original (sorry, I've forgotten where I came across it), so I can call it my own, but it came out great, and I'd like to share it.  I always like to look at a recipe and try to figure out how each element can be made better, so the final product is as good as it possibly can be.  It seemed to me, the ultimate lemons are Meyer lemons, so I had to wait until they were in season before I started, then I used more than the recipe asked for to make sure it was lemony enough.  As with my other liqueurs, Canadian laws restrict me to using vodka, so the best I could do was to get a premium - I went with the Crystal Head again, it's Canadian (Dan Ackroyd's), has the coolest bottles, and is filtered through diamonds - premium stuff.

You will need:

750 ml             vodka, everclear, something with "no taste"
10                    Meyer lemons
to taste             sugar syrup

Method:

 - pour the alcohol into a large mason jar
 - use a vegetable peeler to zest all ten lemons, then cut the segments from 5 of them - add into the jar
 - give it a good shake and store in a cool dark place
 - repeat the shake every day or so for about two months - if the peels are all "dry" and shrivelled up, they won't be giving any more oils
 - strain through a fine seive or cheesecloth - even a coffee filter
 - season to taste with the sugar syrup
 - fill your bottle back up
 - start mixing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.