Thursday, March 8, 2012

Goat butter

Alinea's bread service
Goat butter, if you've tried it, little further explanation is needed.  Carla and I first tried it when we ate at Alinea in Chicago (go figure).  The bread service consisted of an assortment of breads, and a quenelle each of cow butter and goat butter.  We were both blown away.  All the characteristics you love about goat cheeses in subtler levels and in butter form - could you ask for more?  When we asked our server where they sourced out such a product, he told us it came from Quebec.  Once back in Vancouver, I immediately started searching for it, and eventually found it only in a few stores and only from the Liberte dairy company.  It may run you about as much as $10 for 250g, but is well worth the expense.

We always keep a brick in the freezer to keep it from spoiling and pull it out when company comes over or we have some extra nice bread in the house.  I've also taken it on as a personal campaign to up the level of competition in the field (hopefully to lower the price).  Whenever I find myself at a goat cheese farm or find myself speaking to a representative of a goat cheese company, I make sure to ask them if they produce goat butter, and encourage them to start producing some for retail.  I am very proud of B.C.'s independent cheese industry, and would be thrilled if I could support a local goat butter (not that there's anything wrong with what the good people at Liberte are doing, but the whole 100 mile diet thing is good, and I'll support local if I can).

that's some nice work, Daisy








No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.