Friday, March 16, 2012

Recipe: "The Beast" blackberry liqueur

scary stuff
"The Beast" was an inspiration from making the "44" orange liqueur.  It was fun to daily reach into the dark cupboard, shake up the mason jar, and scratch another day off the calendar until it was ready.  In Canada, grain alcohol for the purpose of making drinks isn't readily available, so I had used Crystal Head Vodka, which conveniently comes in cool skull bottles - of which I now had a cool orange coloured one.  It was mid-August when I first got the idea.  Blackberry season.  Blackberries happen to be about the only food I love that I never buy - I wait until the season arrives, then go to my local parks and scoop up as many as I can for free.  So looking at my orange skull, thinking blackerries, and I realized that halloween was just around the corner - the recipe should be something more sinister.  I checked the calendar and saw I had enough time to infuse the vodka for 66 days - the number of the beast!  The recipe for "44" was all fours - the "Beast" would be all sixes.  Superbadass.  Yes, I know it's actually springtime and blackberries are a few months away if you want the free ones (in our area anyway), but summer drinks are around the corner, and who wouldn't want a blackberry martini at your barbeque?  Remember, it does takes two months to make.

You will need:

666 ml       vodka (or grain alcohol)
66               blackberries
66               coffee beans (dark roast)
66               days
1                 dark cold cupboard 
possibly a little sugar syrup at the end (sugar won't dissolve as well)

Method:

 - combine the blackberries, coffee beans and alcohol in a mason jar - seal it and give it a good shake
 - store it in a cold, dark cupboard
 - every day for 66 days, take it out, shake it up, and put it back
 - after 66 days, strain it out, tweak the flavour with sugar syrup (if you wish) and fill your bottle
 - pick out the coffee beans and do something boozy with the blackberries
 - start mixin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.