Sunday, January 20, 2013

Recipe: Traditional egg nog

Here in Mexico, the Christmas season extends to January 6 for the celebration of the Reyes, the three kings who came to see Jesus.  Since rompope is so similar to egg nog, I thought it would be nice to make a traditional egg nog to have with our Rosca de Reyes bread.  My dad is responsible for bringing this frothy, delicious treat into our family's holiday tradition, so being my first Christmas as a dad myself, I thought I should keep things going - even though it will be some years before Isabella can tip one.  The original recipe called for equal parts white rum and Canadian rye, but finding rye in Mexico City wasn't working out and I went with all rum.  I went with a nice bottle of dark Appleton in an effort to find a bit of a middle ground to the original flavour - the result?  The family couldn't get enough of  the "Canadian Rompope".  I was hoping to hang onto a bit for a late night nipper, but alas, it was all gone.  This will make 30 5oz portions.

You will need:

12                   egg yolks
12                   egg whites
250ml / 1C     sugar
750ml / 3C     dark or spiced rum
500ml / 2C     cream
1L / 1qt          milk
pinch              salt
as needed       fresh grated nutmeg

Method:

 - separate the eggs and beat the yolks
 - add the sugar and cream really well
 - very slowly, add the rum to the yolks while beating
 - cover and chill overnight
 - add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat to medium firm peak
 - whip the cream to a medium firm peak
 - stir the milk into the yolk mix
 - fold in the egg whites
 - fold in the cream
 - chill one hour
 - serve with a pinch of nutmeg to garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.