Friday, January 25, 2013

Culinary tourism: Puerto Vallarta

Carla and I thought it would be a nice idea to take baby Isabella to her first tropical beach, so off we went to Puerto Vallarta.  I had never been myself so I was excited too, but at the same time I'm wary of well known places because I hate feeling like another gringo tourist.  Maybe it was a bit slow season, but it was encouraging to see more locals than expats on the streets.  I expected to see monster nightclubs on the beach, but more importantly, I was especially pleasantly surprised at the quality of street food.

Of course, being a seaside town, you'd better be able to get some great seafood, but it was the street vendors who really took it to the next level.  We had found a nice hotel in the old town on Madero, which also happened to be one of the major streets for carts - so as soon as we dropped our bags off, we went for an unbelievable strolling dinner.  The meat, seafood, and salsas were all so delicious and fresh - at every spot too.  We would just hit one guy, try something, then move on to the next guy.  We'd make our way down to the beach, hang out a bit, then work our way back.  Don't get me wrong, we got to a couple restaurants during our stay, and they were very nice, but the best memories came from plastic chairs on the sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.