Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Product review: Tortilleria Yasmin (Mexico city)

Tortillas - they're a beautiful thing.  So simple, but can be taken in so many directions depending on your mood.  As the guero son-in-law, I've come to appreciate the position tortillas enjoy in everyday life in Mexico.  They can be a key element in a celebratory meal, or they can take a back seat and function as table bread, just to nibble on or sop up some extra sauce on the plate.  Whatever the case, I've also noticed that people are loyal to the tortillerias they go to - I've seen great debates in the family over who makes the best and I've taken long car rides out of the way just to get to the right one.  As an outsider, it's hard to appreciate these subtle differences - compared to the tortillas we get at home in Vancouver (which aren't all that bad), all the tortillas are good.  Picking a taco stand that makes it's own tortillas is a whole different issue altogether - hands down yes!  On this last trip, we sat down to a meal, and I actually noticed something different - I had to ask (translated from my Spanish) "These tortillas are amazing!  Did you change tortillerias?"  They had.  Of all the tortillas I've eaten over the years, nothing has ever come so close to being so tender, fresh and flavourful.  You can bend and fold these in any direction and they just don't crack, yet they are so soft and can hold in a saucy mix like no other.  I made them show me where it is, and it's actually on the way from one abuela's house to the other's.  Out of sheer excellence, I'm sharing them with you, because if you happen to be in Mexico city, and happen to be near the Rodeo area, you will be hard pressed to find a better product.  I couldn't actually find an address, but they are on calle 32, just off Ernesto Uruchurtu by a door or two.  Find it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.