Monday, January 21, 2013

Product review: Minerva beer

Tipping the odd cerveza when you are down in Mexico is fairly par for the course, but I always try to steer away from the Coronas - not that there's anything really wrong with Corona, but it just seems so much the standard for foreigners, plus I like something a little darker anyway, like a Negra Modelo or Victoria.  On this latest trip, I was told that the small brewing industry has been making some advances since our last trip down.  A trip to the local store isn't quite the craft-brewing buffet we enjoy in Vancouver, but a larger selection is always encouraging.  


On this trip, I was introduced to Minerva, a beer hailing from Guadalajara, and a real treat.  Beautiful colour, robust flavour, and a rich creamy head, this is a "real beer" that can stand up with the cream of the crop.  I'm not going to attempt to place it in a particular rank among the world classics, because beer depends on mood and personal taste, but I can say that this perfectly hit the spot.  If you are on vacation, it's always nice to lend a hand to some of the little guys for a change, and Minerva is well deserving if you want to try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.