Monday, February 20, 2012

Cookbook review: Notebooks of Michel Bras: Desserts

This book is a standout on my shelf.  I'm a big fan of Michel Bras, and I love my desserts, so what's not to love?  What's even more intriguing is the "notebook" aspect of it.  Chef Bras loves living and working where he does, in Laguiole, France - I was fortunate enough to go there last summer (of course with a visit to Maison Bras) and I don't blame him, it's stunning.  This book collects entries from his journals, many a result of the inspiration he gets hiking in the countryside.  There are no photographs, rather sketches, diagrams, and notes accompany the recipes inside.  You get a real sense of personality with this, a closeness you won't find with other, flashier books.  Yes, the recipes work, but it's the sense of inspiration that's the real value here.  I'm sure many of the desserts have made their way onto Michel Bras' tables supremely polished and perfected, but you'll have to picture it in your mind.  In the same way the chef puts the final touches on each of his recipes, he's leaving that last part up to you.  A cookbook with real heart - CHECK IT OUT HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.