Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Restaurant review: The Silver Skillet

While we were down in Atlanta, we decided a nice Father's Day treat would be to tuck into a good southern breakfast at a classic roadside diner - enter the Silver Skillet.  It was a cinch to find, standing defiantly tall (one story tall) amongst a sea of towers and new development, just past the I-85 on 14th.

The Silver Skillet has been a foundation in Atlanta for years and has that certain sense of history about it.  From the packed room, they've well earned the loyalty of their customers and don't need to periodically re-invent themselves - the food must speak for itself.  I found myself drawn to a yellowed sign advertising peach cobbler, thinking that if the sign has been there this long, the cobbler must be amazing - but first things first, we came for breakfast.

I had the signature southern breakfast with battered and fried centre-cut pork chops, eggs, grits and gravy.  The eggs came as eggs do, you can't ask for much more than that, but the pork chops really hit the spot with a purpose.  I have to admit, I don't normally do pork chops for breakfast, but it may be time to change my mind - the batter was delicious and crispy, and the pork was tender and juicy.  The grits were tasty and creamy, yet neutral enough to work with either the eggs or a splash of maple syrup depending on your mood.  You know they mean business when the gravy is its own thing - it was rich, thick and wake-you-up peppery - perfect for a breakfast chop.  The Skillet's biscuits almost stole the show - soft, tender and oh so cozy warm.  Where were the jams and butter?  In a napkin under the warm biscuits - considering I get pretty peeved at hard table butter, this small but simple detail really warmed my heart.  Had a taste of the buttermilk pancakes - pretty hard to go wrong there either.  Sadly, I couldn't get around to the cobbler, so it'll have to be next time.  Well done, Skillet, well done.


the southern breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.