Friday, June 7, 2013

Recipe: Gomae dressing

When I go out for sushi, I love to get a side order of spinach gomae.  The slightly spicy mix of sesame and soy hits me just right, and my regular spot is generous with the dressing, so I also use it to dip my sushi.  Now that I have a recipe, I make it and use it however I please - despite the fact there is no oil in it, it works really well as a light salad dressing.  Remember to give it a good shake or stir before using it as the solids tend to collect at the bottom of the container.

You will need:

250ml / 1C                       mirin
250ml / 1C                       sake
250ml / 1C                       soy sauce
200ml / 6.8fl oz                sesame seeds
60ml / 1/4C                      wasabi
1 "knuckle"                      fresh ginger

Method:

 - put the mirin and sake in a pot, heat it, ignite it and burn off the alcohol, then cool
 - toast the sesame seeds, then cool
 - blend the sesame seeds fine in a blender
 - grate the ginger on a Microplane
 - put the wasabi, ginger, and sesame seeds in a bowl, then use the soy sauce and a whisk to make a paste
 - gradually whisk in the mirin and sake
 - use as needed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.