Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Recipe: Monkey bread

Carla and I love monkeys, so when I happened across this recipe I knew I had to make it.  Part of the intrigue was the inherent craziness of it - a dessert made not only from a yeast dough, but divided into a multitude of little balls, rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar, then reassembled and baked off as one.  You also aren't allowed to cut it with a knife since you can just pull the pieces off as you eat them.  


Bruja likes to help me proof bread
The first recipes I came across called for instant biscuit mix, which turned me off, then I came across one by Chef Michael Smith on the Food Network site that used yeast, so I decided to give it a whirl.  It's also this recipe that gave me so much trouble converting ingredients to weights, but I finally got it, and it's all weighed out for you here.  One example of why I'm a stickler for weighing ingredients is flour - a sifted cup of flour will weigh a lot less than a packed one, and throw the recipe out of whack.  Sorry Chef, I didn't follow the recipe exactly,  I added some sweet spice to the dough, and during the execution the flour and liquid amounts were adjusted slightly as I saw it coming together in the mixer - it was a bit like math class here as I was subtracting amounts from a recipe recently converted.  Happily, the result was fantastic and the measurements as I did them are all here.  I also topped it with some chopped up banana chips after cooking - monkeys love their bananas.  I served it for my monkey brother's birthday with some mango sorbet that Carla made - perfect.

You will need:

2oz / 56g                               unsalted butter, melted
14oz (just under 2C) / 400g  milk (homo) - yes I weigh my milk - the scale is already out
1/4C (1oz) / 30g                    golden or brown sugar - loose pack if using 1/4C measure
1                                            vanilla bean (scraped) - 1Tbs / 15ml extract, but the dough will be wetter
1Tbs (0.3oz) / 8.5g                instant yeast - or 10.3g active dry yeast - or 25.5g fresh
4C (18oz) / 515g                   flour
punch it down and cut it
1tsp / 6g                                salt
1/2tsp / 0.5g                          grated nutmeg
1/2tsp / 0.5g                          ground cinnamon

for the rolling:

1/2C / 113.5g                        unsalted butter, melted
1C / 200g                              white sugar
2Tbs / 6g                               ground cinnamon

roll the balls
for the topping:

chopped banana chips

Method:

 - unless using instant yeast, warm up a bit of the milk, add a portion of the sugar and bloom the yeast
 - if using instant yeast, mix it with the flour and salt
 - mix the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar
 - in a mixer with a dough hook, mix the melted butter, spiced sugar, milk and yeast
layer into the bundt pan
 - add the flour mixture and mix until dough is smooth, shiny and comes away from the bowl - it will be a bit wet and sticky
 - turn it out onto a floured board and round up
 - place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and place in a warm area to proof
 - once double in size, punch it down and turn out onto a floured board
 - cut dough into small pieces and ball them up
 - melt the rolling butter
 - mix the cinnamon sugar for rolling
 - lightly oil a bundt pan
 - coat the balls in butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar, then layer them up in the pan
 - set the pan in a warm place and let proof
 - set oven to 340F / 171C
 - place pan in the oven and cook about 45 minutes - rotate if necessary
 - when cooked, remove from oven, let rest a moment, then turn out onto your serving dish
second proofing
 - coat with chopped banana chips while bread is warm (so they stick to the warm butter)
 - serve warm and eat with your hands





tear into it











2 comments:

  1. Kootenay Confections12:20 AM, April 05, 2012

    Looks fantastic! Going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kootenay Confections12:24 AM, April 05, 2012

      Can I borrow Bruja?

      Delete

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.