Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Recipe: Coffee and Grand Marnier gelee

Coffee gelee has a way of working it's way around a menu.  One of the most popular uses I've seen a lot are interpretive versions of tiramisu.  As the original dessert can be a bit difficult to serve clean, it is often easier to make a  tiramisu flavoured bavarian or mousse and set it up in a glass.  The coffee element then often finds itself as a gelee in the bottom of the glass, or set up separately, cut into cubes and served on top as a garnish.  When I made this recently, I did the latter.  While my dessert tipped its hat to tiramisu, it was different enough I didn't feel bound to use rum or Marsala as the participating alcohol, and went with one of my favorites, Grand Marnier.  I like the ratio of gelatin in this, it is firm enough to cut and handle, but still soft and delicate.

You will need:

450ml / 15.2oz                     strong brewed coffeee
50ml / 1.7oz                         Grand Marnier liqueur 
30ml / 2Tbs                          sugar
6 sheets                                gelatin

Method:

 - soak the gelatin in cold water, then drain
 - measure out the hot coffee
 - stir in the sugar
 - melt in the gelatin
 - stir in the liqueur
 - set in a dish about 1cm deep
 - let set up completely
 - cut cubes and use as needed





No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.