Monday, November 12, 2012

Recipe: Vegetable "paper" - truffle parsnip

bag it
I made this the other day on a bit of a whim.  I was trying to come up with a nice modern fall garnish.  Parsnips certainly fit the bill but it needed something extra and truffle is always a nice addition to parsnip.  I've made parsnip chips a lot of times, but I thought making a paper would be a bit more interesting as you can break it into shards.  A paper would also allow me to fully develop the flavour within the mix itself.  I considered using truffle salt, but in this case didn't want to stray from the clean visual with the black speckles.  Because I was using truffle oil, I strayed from the usual 5% egg white ratio to make sure I got a crisp result.  I also lowered the dehydration temperature as I noticed early on in the process that 140F / 60C could potentially caramelize the sugars in the parsnip more than I wanted.  The end result was a delicious and crisp product with a nice tan.  If some of the previous posts have inspired you to modernize a holiday meal with sous-vide turkey, this would be a great way to get some parsnip on the plate.

puree it


You will need:

500g / 17.6oz          parsnip (peeled and chopped)
60ml / 1/4C             truffle oil
60ml / 1/4C             cream
60g / 2.1oz              egg white
to taste                    kosher salt
as needed                water



Method:
spread it and dry it

 - peel and chop the parsnip
 - put the parsnip in a vacuum bag with the truffle oil and a pinch of salt and seal tight
 - steam or submerge the bag in boiling water until very soft (45 minutes)
 - empty the contents of the bag while still hot into a blender
 - add the cream and just enough water to get a rough puree
 - add the egg white and puree completely smooth
 - add any more seasoning to taste
 - spray a silicone mat with pan spray
flip it and dry it some more
 - spread the puree evenly over the mat - don't worry about slight ripples, they will dehydrate out
 - set a wood warmer or dehydrator to 130F / 54C
 - let the puree dry out several hours
 - when the puree is at the "leather" stage, flip it onto a sheet of paper and peel off the silicone mat
 - transfer the leather on the paper back onto the tray and return to the warmer to fully dehydrate
 - remove the paper and let it cool to room temperature and crisp up
 - break off shards and serve





No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.