Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe: Pickled pineapple core


a nice shape helps sell it
I'm always interested in making use of every part of a food item when possible.  This is very popular when it comes to meats, but not so much with fruits and vegetables.  What I like about pickling pineapple core is that the texture is so much more dense than the rest of the fruit that if you prepare it on its own and give it to someone to try, often they have a hard time guessing what it is  - "did you marinate daikon in pineapple juice?" I've been asked.  The texture may not normally be for everybody, but I also know of a few people who go crazy for the core.  By slicing it super thin on a mandolin, you can make it more approachable and catch everyone in the middle.  You'll at least be trying something new, and what's to lose? You were probably going to throw it out anyway.

You will need:

170ml / 6oz             pineapple juice 
100ml / 3.4oz          mirin
50ml / 1.7oz            rice wine vinegar
5ml / 1tsp                sugar
pinch                       kosher salt
as needed                pineapple core


Method:

 - as much as possible cut the core away from the rest of the pineapple so it has a nice shape
 - slice the core on a mandolin as thin as possible
 - add all the ingredients of the pickle together and bring to a boil
 - pour the pickle over the sliced core
 - let cool and store overnight in the fridge
 - use as needed

pineapple core setting the stage for a great dish











1 comment:

  1. Hi Blair. I went online googling the pineapple core tonight and I'm so happy to find this cute blog. You are probably busy. I wonder if you will see this. Just so you know that I like the idea "to make use of every part of a food item" and I like your blog very much. I really wish there's a facebook page or twitter to follow. Thank you for sharing those lovely recipes and ideas. Cheers. Carolyn from Taiwan:)

    ReplyDelete

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.