Saturday, July 28, 2012

Atole ice cream

load the machine


Curious about making an eggless ice cream?  After I made the blueberry atole, I noticed that it was thick like an ice cream base and reserved some to churn in the ice cream maker.  This is a great example of the sorts of things you get up to when you have such a machine hanging around.  Much like playing "will it deep fry" when there's a deep fryer around, "will it churn" is a fun game to play with an ice cream maker.  


15 minutes later
 The result with the blueberry atole was fantastic.  Unlike a blueberry sorbet, it was creamy and oozed on the tongue as it melted like an ice cream does.  The atole character from the cornstarch was there and was very welcome, but the texture's similarity to ice cream was the more interesting outcome.  I used the same atole we drank the night before - I simply chilled it completely overnight, then gave it a quick whisk before churning.  If I were to make it specifically for churning, some variations could be to sweeten it with glucose instead of sugar and add cream where I had added milk.  You could add egg, but that would seem to take away from the character of it.

delicious





No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions, thoughts, comments? Let me know.